Wednesday, May 23, 2007

OCEAN DAY 2007

I was up at 6am yesterday plotting, and directing volunteers to create this image of a gray whale. My heart was beating fast and my stomach queasy knowing that if I miss calculated the entire image could be shifted and the end result ruined.

750 Humboldt county students came out to pull invasive European beachgrass and pick up trash before getting into the aerial art image.

Everything went smoothly and all were in place just in time when the helicopter came to get the photo. I'm just below the whale's eye in the photo. Images from other countys and even Mexico can be found here.

The whale was chosen as this year's image as the International Whaling Commission is meeting in a few days with one of the agenda items being to legalize whaling once again in several countries. Many are concerned that with the meeting be held in the US this might actually happen.

1 comment: