Thursday, October 04, 2007

smells like...

Lately I've been enjoying weekly bike rides along narrow, country roads lined with Himalayan blackberry bushes. The fact that they are a non-native invasive species only makes the picking and eating of the berries more enjoyable. But that's not what I'm here to chat about. This is about the smell...

There is something quite intoxicating when while biking on a beautiful day I feel as though I have inhaled a blackberry crisp. As if I had ridden through a cloud of blackberry heaven. The intense smell of overripe berries baking in the sun is almost overwhelming and yet I can't seem to get enough.

Anyone else have a seasonal smell to share?

2 comments:

  1. The height of summer... in the Sierras the smell of pine trees & red clay soil. Instant flashbacks to my summers at camp, covered in bug bites & dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This smell of the first rain of the fall season.

    ReplyDelete