Monday, September 25, 2006

in the spirit of fall...

Fall has always been one of my favorite seasons for many reasons, one being the abundance of fresh produce from the farmers market, and colder nights that beckon the eating of warm and spicy dishes. This weekend I attempted making chili for the very first time. I looked through many recipes, pulled out the ideas I liked best and put them all together into my own special blend.

*Witches Brew Chili

1 winter squash (butternut or your favorite)
28 ounce can chopped or crushed tomatoes
1 large red onion
lots of garlic
2-3 medium summer squash (i used yellow for color)
1 large yellow bell pepper
2 cans black beans (including sauce)
1 bottle good beer
1/2 cup tvp (tectured vegetable protein)
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
~2 Tbsp cumin
~2 Tbsp Chipolte sauce (put 1 can chipolte peppers w/ adobo sauce in food processor)
salt to taste

Heat oven to 400. Slice winter squash in half and place cut side down in baking dish with ~1/2 inch water. Place in oven while preparing the rest to soften flesh. In large pot saute onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. By now the winter squash should be soft. Scoop out the flesh and chop or break into small pieces and add to pot. Simmer ~30 minutes. Try serving with homemade skillet cornbread.

* I call it Witches Brew Chili because when the beer (get it? "brew") is added it gets all bubbly like a witches cauldron. Or my brother might say that it's because I really am a witch :)

Even though this was my first chili attempt it was quite successful. My roomies both had seconds and leftovers, and thus far we're all alive and well (unfortunately no special powers are obtained from this brew).

No comments:

Post a Comment