Monday, February 14, 2011

My crazy friend Alysia (crazy cool that is)...

is leaving to serve in the Peace Corps in Malawi.

I became friends with Alysia when we lived together in a rental just outside of Arcata.  But lets back up for a moment. Before I had ever met or even spoken with Alysia I got the inside tip that she owned Travel Scrabble.  So basically, I knew she was going to be awesome from the get go!  While roommates we cooked together, watched movies together and went on great hikes together.  We lived together for less than a year before we both moved on to different living situations but our friendship only grew stronger.  We still cooked, went on hikes and even went on some fun adventures to the Strawberry Music Festival and the Kate Wolf Memorial Music Festival.

Alysia graduated from HSU in the Spring of 2010 but has been preparing to enter the Peace Corps since October of 2009.  She leaves Humboldt County this week to begin her journey towards Africa, but before she left I got to spend one more great afternoon with her and decided to conduct a little pre Peace Corps interview.

What are you most excited to see in Malawi?
Soooo many things...  I'm excited to see the culture there... the music and dancing.  Lake Malawi, which holds 80% of fresh water aquarium fish species.

Are you worried about not having private space?
Yes and No.  I'm used to living with roommates now and feel that has helped me prepare.

What food will you miss the most while there?
Sushi!  and raw fish and raw veggies.  (I was informed that she had recently gone out for sushi three times within a 24 hour period recently.  She's getting her fill while she can).

What do you think will take the most to get use to?
The etiquette... learning what is appropriate and my role as a female.

What food do you think you'll like the most once you get there?
The corn porridge... I love porridge!

Do you think you will miss your car?
No!

What comfort item are you taking with you?    My yoga mat. 

What will be the biggest challenge of living in Malawi?
I definitely think the poverty and mortality is going to be difficult.  I have been told that I will get to know people there that will die while I'm there.  HIV/AIDS is a big problem there.

What is the biggest sacrifice you are making to go?
Leaving Pippi. (her dog)

What is the best advice that you have been given?
To put a supply of new underwear in a Ziploc bag and save it for my 2nd year of service.

Do you plan to record an album upon your return after practicing your guitar for 2 years?  No way.  That's a big FAT no!  :)

Will your hair be long or short when you return?   Long.

Will you be an even bigger hippie than you are now when you return?
For Sure!

It is easy to say that Alysia has been the best of friends.  She is fun, has a contagious laugh, always has a comforting shoulder to cry on when needed, she is the best storyteller I know, she is inspirational in that she is always striving to learn and improve herself, and speaks with words of wisdom.  I have no doubt that her Peace Corps experience will be one of great adventure that will return her as an even better storyteller and a stronger human/hippie Goddess.  Alysia, you leaving for two years is leaving an empty space in my life but I promise to fill that space with my own adventures and education so that I will have something to share with you as well upon your return.  I will think of you often and am so thankful for the time that we have already spent together in this lifetime.

1 comment: