Sunday, February 06, 2011

Pounding kraut...

is a bit of a workout.  Last summer I purchased a 5L fermentation crock.  When I got it out of its packaging I felt overwhelmed > it's big!  For xmas I asked Santa for a pounder with which to help the process of making sauerkraut, and many other fermented foods easier.  The last present left for me under the xmas tree was big and long.  I had no idea what it could be.  Again... I was very overwhelmed by the size of the pounder.  My dad teased that I should leave it by my bed in place of a baseball bat (not that I have a baseball bat). 

Over the last month, from both research and talking with others who have made kraut, I built up enough courage to try it myself.  I sliced up about 4lbs of red and green cabbage, added some sea salt, a little whey, a couple of spices and started pounding.  "Pound! Pound! Pound! Pound!" Could be heard both inside and outside of the house.  Soon the juices from the cabbage began extracting.  I placed some weights atop the cabbage, the lid atop the crock and left it to ferment.

Here is the crazy part.  I have NEVER liked sauerkraut.  In general, I don't really like anything pickled.  But over the last few years I've been working really hard to learn to like these things and have hope that if freshly made by me I will enjoy them.  Keeping my fingers and tastebuds crossed.

I acquired most of my information about making sauerkraut from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook and from the Wild Fermentation website.

No comments:

Post a Comment