Sunday, November 26, 2006

Contemplate something beautiful...

I was watching a movie that took place in SF the other night. There was a scene of the golden gate bridge on a sunny CA day. I asked my friend DMP who once resided in the Bay if he thought people regularly commuting over the bridge lost the sense of its beauty? He answered without hesitation, yes. I was at first stunned by the matter of fact answer, and then saddened.

I always wondered what would happen when I moved to Arcata? Would I myself be bored by the Pacific Ocean or giant redwoods after seeing them on a consistent basis? The answer is simply and clearly no. I fall in love with this place I call home a little more each day. A large and most likely geeky smile overtakes my face every time I ride my bike up the hill to campus and get a brief glimpse of Humboldt Bay. Tire of the ocean??? Is that really possible? I hear it call my name anytime I'm within a mile. Get bored of the redwoods? Never. It's too much of a mystery with discoveries to be made upon each visit. I love all of it. Big and small.

Back to the movies... A woman in one of my favorite films Next Stop Wonderland says, "I think it's important to contemplate something beautiful each day."

It's all a matter of pausing, taking a breath, and remembering whom you are and where you are. Here's to not taking this glorious life for granted and not letting beautiful things go unnoticed.

1 comment:

  1. The trees here are amazing this time of year. I had a wonderful walk this morning in the crisp air, and enjoyed all the wonderful trees.

    ReplyDelete