Sunday, July 22, 2007

Humboldt Bay Coastal Education Center & Reserve...

Last week Friends of the Dunes went through escrow on 38 acres of dune property along with a bunker style house as seen in the top left corner of the photo. This means that I get to fulfill my dream of managing and restoring land (presently I work with land managers to restore their land). I spent all day walking around the property today getting to know the lay of the land and what plants are present where. I start writing the restoration management plan in August. A big endeavor that I can't wait to begin.

And while I'm bragging... this will be my third achieved dream job.
1) A park ranger / naturalist
2) Environmental Educator
3) Land Manager

#4?????? Well, if I set my goals high and far out of reach, cause I don't think I'll be striving for anything new for awhile, I'd have to say farmer. I've always felt a longing to live on some land outside of town working with my hands in the soil. I've even spent my vacations doing such a thing. However, I don't see #4 happening without striking rich first somehow or meeting the man of my dreams who just happens to be filthy rich and chooses to farm because it's his dream job. And because this is my dream, I think I'll really only want to farm part-time and on the side I'll have a pottery wheel and kiln to throw ceramics and sell them at the farmers market where I'll be selling my produce and popular watercolors. I'll also have the time to learn to use the loom a friend gave me years ago, knit wool sweaters, purchase a river kayak and use it, and lose my idiotic fear of bears. A gals allowed to dream...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:22 PM

    Lyrics to an old song go: "No matter how your heart is dreaming, if you keep on believing, the dreams that you wish will come true."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:30 PM

    Those dreams didn't just fall into your lap. You worked hard to make them come true, and are so deserving! #4 sounds cool, too. I liked finding that synonyms for "rich" include prosperous, harmonious, special, humorous and precious. And some say we attract the qualities we express, so you're right on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah... strive for your dream to sit around in the dirt all day and make crummy sweaters at night. Strive to accidentally find the rich guy who will make all of this come true for you. More importantly, don't make me a sweater no matter how much free time you have!!

    Congrats on the land grab, though. Did you make that rich logger-man hopping mad? Hope so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, let us redefine "rich" once again. I mean rich in the sense that owning land is a possibility. If I ever did "strike it rich" you know I would end up giving most of it away or spending it all on expensive yarn to knit lots of sweaters for my brother that he'll never wear.

    ReplyDelete