Monday, October 16, 2006

Hurray for bicycle helmets!!!!

Didn't get much sleep Saturday night and was in a bit of a mood Sunday morning when I decided to go for a "get in a better mood bike ride." Within 5 seconds of launching down the semi-steep path behind my house my trip came to an abrupt end as a bush overgrowing the pathway snagged my handlebar and gravity through me head and shoulder first into a cement ditch. Yes! I did have my helmet on. Needless to say my bike ride did not continue or make me very happy. As soon as I got a hug from my roomie, Everafter, I was much better. Now I'm walking around like an old lady. It's amazing how many different places on your legs are involved in a bike accident. The worst is my shoulder and neck that took all the impact, but I'm basically fine. Just VERY sore and very bruised. Thank goodness I already have a massage scheduled for Wednesday.

I think my bike took the worst of the crash for the two of us also ran into a sturdy pipelike light post before hitting or simultaneously hitting (it all happened rather fast) the ditch. I called my friend Zed, the bike surgeon, right away to make an appointment to bring the bike in. At the moment I'm not able to even straighten the handlebars

What does this all mean? Where's the lesson? One theory is that if I hadn't been wearing my bike helmet that it wouldn't have happened at all (yes, a bad theory). This stems from the fact that I wear my helmet about 3% of the time I ride my bike. That percent will most likely be higher once my bike recovers from surgery. Next theory, an obvious one, is that I need to slow down in more ways than just on my bike, but don't we all? A final theory, this is just good mental practice for healing and remaining happy with life. I'm already feeling much better.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! I am so glad that you are ok. Any chance you can find a nice hot tub to soak in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3%! Shame on you dear! Concussions suck a great deal. Just ask Greg. ;^)

    Glad you're ok. Don't forget to replace your helmet. They're no good after they've been in an accident. The manufacturer may even replace it for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:32 AM

    I took my first bike ride in Thailand today. I'm confident I will be dead within a week... which is sad because I was planning to go home for Christmas. I don't like helmets, either! As for your accident... well... over here in Thailand we believe in karma... so maybe you should think twice before you talk crap about your brother!! :P

    (glad you are okay) ;)

    ReplyDelete