Sunday, October 01, 2006

winkers

Have any friends that you would classify as winkers? I know of a couple folks and it catches me off guard everytime. These winking folks wink often, as in at least a few times within an hour.

They offer several kinds of winks:
  1. You're both listening to some conversation or both witness the same thing. You look at your friend for a mutual mental agreement and they slip in a wink.
  2. They wink to say hello.
  3. And then there's the wink coming out of left field, and you're not sure why. It just happens.
While I'm aware of the winking capacity of my friends, I just never get used to it. Everytime the wink happens I want to take a double shot. I mentally think, "did he/she just wink at me?" It takes my brain at least half a second to remember that he/she is a winker and then I'm busy wondering if I made some kind of odd reaction to the wink and did the person notice, which leads me to the question of how are you supposed to respond to a wink? Do you wink back? I dare not. It's just not my style and seems just a bit awkward as if you were making fun of his/her wink. At the same time you don't want to ignore the wink. It seems there must be a way to acknowledge the wink. A "yes, wink recieved" response. I've yet to come up with this.

Final note: I have no ill/bad/negative feeling towards the winkers of the world. Afterall, a wink is a kind gesture, only spreading goodness. I say wink away, maybe it will catch on and there will be more people wondering about those that don't wink someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment